Saturday, April 10, 2010

Baby is born

Our beautiful baby boy was born on March 17th(at 37 weeks). He was born via emergency c-section. I woke up that morning and couldn't feel him moving. His normal routine was to wake up at about 5am and move around until about noon. However, this day he wasn't moving at all. I ate breakfast thinking that would help him get going, then I took a long bath. Still no movement. I told the Lord that if he didn't move by 11am that I would go in and see the doctor. When I arrived at the hospital, they put me on a fetal monitor and his heart rate was dangerously slow. It was only beating at about 98beats per min. The normal heart rate should be about 140 to 160. The nurse was concerned and called to the doctor. She then sent me for an ultrasound. Indeed the baby wasn't moving and the ultrasound confirmed a low heart rate. The doctor strongly recommended that we do a c-section that day. After Clinton and I prayed and talked things over we agreed.
This was an experience to remember! I already suffer from claustrophobia, and when they strapped my arms down, and I couldn't feel anything from my breast down, this made things pretty interesting. To make things worse they put a cloth right in front of my face. The cloth was so close that it was touching my nose. It was like a wall in front of me so that I couldn't see anything going on. Before Clinton entered the room, I was on the verge of panicking and tried to look up at the wall and pray. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do this.. I kept thinking, "OH! why didn't I have them knock me out. I'm going to loose it right here on this table." Thankfully, Clinton walked in the room just in time. For the entire surgery, I looked up at him and made him my center point of focus.
To our delight, at 3:40pm our little baby Cayden was born! When he came out he was having difficulty breathing. The doctor had to suction his lungs for quit some time and she was rubbing on him vigorously. It took him a few mins before he cried. I was so worried yet so helpless. They let me look at him for only a min and then had to begin working on him in order to get him breathing. I kept asking clinton, "Is he okay?" Clinton was trying to hold it together for the both of us but when you're with someone for 23 years you know body language, and I knew Clinton's body language was a sign that all was not well.
However, after 24 hours in NICU the baby was brought up to our room and he was doing much better. I shocked the nurses because after just 6 hours I was in my wheel chair and down on the 3rd floor visiting him. They said that they've never seen anyone recover from a c-section so quickly! But this mamma was determined to see her little chick!!
The moment I saw him all the doubt about having another baby left me!! I had a very difficult pregnancy with many complications, ending in an emergency c-section, however, all of the thoughts of that left me when I saw our little prince!
God is so good and He has fulfilled His promise to us! May we honor him in the raising of this son.

1 comment:

  1. I obviously already know this whole story, but, reading it brought tears to my eyes! God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete