Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On Our Table This Week

Food is a huge part of my day. It's amazing the amount of time a missionary mamma spends in the kitchen! What takes others no time to make takes us an hour or two. I've recently been trying to streamline and make some quicker meals that are both healthy and good! 

We're all on a health kick.  Trying to get into shape and loose some weight. Clinton's lost 11lbs, I've lost 9.5lbs and Chase has put on some serious muscle mass. Bang has even joined in and is trying to gain some weight and eat healthier.

We're trying really hard to eat "clean" Focusing on fruits and veggies and foods that are good for you. We've made a few simple changes like eating brown rice, no sweets except once a week, no pork, nothing fried, and very little beef. Our main diet consists of veggies and chicken. 

Once a week we have a "splurge night" where we eat a fattening meal and a dessert. 

Hey! You gotta be realistic! 

Some of the things on our table this week.

First we have some Baked Eggplant with Red Sauce. YUM! 

I used 1/2 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and a little pepper. I dipped the eggplant in an egg wash then dredged them in the crumb mixture. Baked them until golden. Cant' remember how long that was. 

We took our food outside and had a picnic in the front yard. It was a gorgeous afternoon. 



The sauce was super simple.
Red Sauce
1 can of whole tomatoes, two cans crushed tomatoes, 1/2 cup parmesan, with some sautéed onion and garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings. Let it simmer for 25min.



Tuesday night we had Grilled Chicken with Pasta and a Tomato Cream Sauce! YUM!!
My Tomato Cream Sauce came from The Pioneer Woman recipe. You can find this recipe here.
This is one of my FAVORITE quick go to recipes when I don't know what to cook because you can do all kinds of stuff with it. You can have chicken, shrimp, or have it plain.




Grilled Chicken with Italian Seasoning




The Chocolate Chip cookie below was for a Friday night "splurge" night. I found this recipe on Pintrest and it's WONDERFUL!!!! You mix all the ingredients in one bowl. You can find the recipe here
Did I mention how much I love my iron skillet!!! LOVE. IT.



I LOVE Pesto!! Especially homemade Pesto. I decided to use this Pesto on one of our Pizza's. A huge hit.




(The pizzas were from before we gave up pork)
The recipe for my dough is also from Pioneer Woman. You'll soon find that many of my recipes come from her site! There ALL wonderful. Pizza Dough This pizza was from a few months back but I wanted to share it with you. Homemade Pizza is so quick and inexpensive to feed our large family. We have it at least twice a month. There's SOOO many ways you can change pizza!!

Pesto Pizza with Ham and Tomatoes
 This one is half Bar B Que Pizza and half ham and cheese. I wasn't quiet sure how everyone would liek the Bar B Que one so I made half. IT WAS A FAVORITE!!! It's acutally left over Pulled Pork. Colton loved it so much he requested it for his Birthday Dinner! So that's what we had for his birthday.

My Pulled Pork Recipe is:
Cook your pork in  slow cooker with some chicken broth. After it's fork tender pull it all apart, drain some of the juice then add 3C Catsup, 6T brown sugar, 1tsp Worcestershire Sauce, 1tsp Tabasco Sauce. Let it simmer for a few min. Really good the second day.

Sad to say.... but we no longer eat pork. I decided about 3 months ago that I wasn't going to eat pork and I shared it with the family at dinner one night. After reading some things I just decided I was going to make a break from it. I'm really trying to give up beef too. Well, the funny thing is, the WHOLE FAMILY (all those living in our house) decided to give it up too. So we no longer eat pork. I know. I know. It's delicious!!! I agree!! But I must follow my conscience. ;)

Pulled Pork Pizza


Granola! This is an absolute staple at our house!! I try to have it on hand ALL THE TIME! The whole family loves it and it's SOOO good for you!!!! I put all kinds of things in my granola: cranberries, walnuts, almonds, flax seeds, wheat germ, honey.... So so good!!

Here's the recipe:
8c rolled oats
1/4c sunflower oil
1/4c butter
1tsp salt
3/4c honey
1/4c apple juice
3/4c brown sugar
3tsp Vanilla
1 1/2c cereal (any kind of crunchy cereal: Rice Krispies, crushed Corn Flakes)
1c wheat germ
1c nuts
1/2c cranberries
1/2c chocolate chips

Mix the oats with the salt oil and butter. Let them toast on 325 for about 15 mins. Then pour them in a bowl. Set aside. Mix honey, apple juice, brown sugar and heat in the microwave until dissolved. Pour the mixture over the oats, then add the rest of the ingredients. You can mix and match what you add.

Variations:
Raisins
Pecans
White Chocolate Chips
M&M

look at those plump cranberries



This is what we had today! If you make this, your family will love you!!! 

Chicken Curry with Pineapple served over Brown Rice

I call it a health revolution because that's really what it is!! If any of you know us well, you know the Garsees have NEVER been into "healthy" eating. We've always been the kind of family that "eats what tastes good" I mean my husband thinks Lays Potato Chips are a food group. And Coke.....he loves this stuff. Chase Tanner could have lived his entire existence on fried food. And ALL OF US, looooooove SUGAR. 

But while Chase was in Mexico he started working out and made a few eating changes, and because I REALLY need to loose weight Clinton jumped on board. When the whole family's on board it makes it a lot easier! So I began to go a little further and stretched all of us but we FEEL SO MUCH BETTER!! I have SO much more energy!!! It's amazing!

When I made the switch to brown rice several months ago, I wasn't really sure how the family would respond but everyone loves it except Joseph! Bless his little southern Thai heart...he hates it!! 

It's nutty and hearty! I love to crunch it between my teeth. Yummy!! 


Chicken Curry with Pineapple

Do you love my bowls in the back ground?!? I got them today at a tent on the side of the road. I got these plates that the rice is on for 30 baht or $1 and the bowls for 60 baht or $2!

One of my weaknesses is table ware. I love dishes!!! I love pretty bowls and plates and serving dishes. I love to entertain.... cooking and having people over is one of my favorite things!

Okay, I just totally went off on a rabbit trail.....hahaha. but I REALLY love my dishes! Do you?

I'd love for your to share some quick healthy recipes with me. Any suggestions?

Have a good day!

Love,
Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment